Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola has committed his future to the Liga giants by agreeing to stay until the summer of 2011. The 39-year-old is set to sign his contract on 1 July after elections for a new club president have concluded.
However, president Joan Laporta has confirmed a deal has now been brokered that will see the popular tactician remain at the helm.
"Guardiola told me he was committed to staying for at least one more season," said Laporta.
Guardiola, who is planning to enjoy every minute of his time at the helm, will put pen-to-paper on his deal in the summer after the club's presidential elections.
"I know that sooner or later I will cease to be coach of Barca and I have to enjoy the time I'm here to the maximum," explained Guardiola.
"A coach of Barca can't be here for life just because... I think that you have sign for short periods in which the coach has to earn things, with the players, with the fans...
"I wanted to see if that was happening, if I had the support of the players, the board. Nowhere am I going to be as comfortable as I am here."
Guardiola led Barca to six trophies in 2009, including the Spanish league and the Champions League.
The Catalan giants are undefeated in the league this season and top La Liga by five points from rivals Real Madrid.
0 коментара:
Post a Comment